I've been thinking a lot lately about portions. Our society is all about losing weight and looking like your 20 again. Well, I'm not 20 and have gained some weight since then :) I'm the type of person that never had to worry about weight. Until I hit my mid~thirties. I've gone through *mourning* over my old self. I've had three kids, which i'm heavier now than after having my 3rd child. My point is, our worldly portions are so huge.
1. restaurants pile on the food.
2. you can super size almost anything.
3. grande is one of child's vocab. words.
4. snacks, snacks and more snacks!
5. the saying *you can't eat just one* is a motto.
6. commercials and more commercials showing us fattening food.
I could go on and on. When my husband, daughter and I we're in Haiti visiting our son. I realized how little food you could safely consume in one day. We mainly had a light breakfast and dinner. A few handfuls of trail mix and lots of water. We didn't snack all day or eat huge portions. Let me tell you I felt much better not being loaded down with all that food.
Lets not forget all the staring orphans. I don't say that lightly. My son was an orphan. He is from the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. There are so many adults and children starving to death.
What can we do? First, lets just start with smaller portions. The extra money we safe we can help others.
Blessings,
Missy
Living in the moment....... Laughing at the silly stuff.......... Loving my family............
Friday, May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My last post was less than a month ago and SO much has changed. Not so much with me personally-but the state of our world is terrifying. I n...
-
My last post was less than a month ago and SO much has changed. Not so much with me personally-but the state of our world is terrifying. I n...
-
I've found few things I'm enjoying :) I think I'd like to share some of those little things with you! I'm not sure how many ...
-
My mom always had a saying. She'd say, "when someone dies a baby is born." She told me that when I was little and it has stuck...
1 comment:
I find this interesting too, though portion sizes here aren't as large as they are in the US. Aussies who visit the US are often amazed at the sheer size of restaurant meals.
I have a US cookbook from the 1940s and it says that a portion size of meat or chicken is 1/4 pound or about 100 g. This amount seems small by today's standards but it is what they ate.
Kate
Post a Comment